Thursday, September 9, 2010

The New Saint Joseph
First Communion Catechism

Lesson 9
Sacrament of Penance

44. What is the sacrament of Penance?
Penance is the sacrament by which sins committed after Baptism are forgiven.

Mortal sin kills the life of Christ in our soul.
Venial sin makes our soul sick.
The sacrament of Penance is like medicine.
It is the medicine of Christ’s Precious Blood.
It cures sick souls.
It is much stronger than medicine for the body.
It even raises dead souls to life.
This sacrament heals the wounds of all our sins.
It helps us to be good afterwards.
It helps us to keep out of sin.
Our sins may be big.
Our sins may be many.
But Our Lord always forgives us if we are sorry.
He is never angry with us.
He loves to have us come to Confession.

45. What must you do to receive the sacrament of Penance worthily?
To receive the sacrament of Penance worthily I must:

Find out my sins.
Be sorry for my sins.
Make up my mind not to sin again.
Tell my sins to the priest.
Do the penance the priest gives me.

The best way to do this is:
Pray to the Holy Spirit.
Then think about Our Lord’s sufferings.
We call these sufferings His Passion.
Our sins made Jesus suffer.
He suffered in our place.
We should have been on the cross.

He did not commit the sins; we did.

But He loves us.

He wanted to suffer for our sins.

 

 

 

When we see His hands and feet nailed, we will be sorry we did that to Him.

When we see His bleeding Body, we will make up our mind not to sin again.

When we see His face, we will want to tell our sins to the priest.

When we see His eyes, we will want to say our penance.

 

 

 

Did I commit any of these sins?

 

Did I miss Mass on purpose on a Sunday or Holy Day? (How many times?)

Was I late for Mass on Sunday through my own fault? (How many times?)

Did I laugh or talk in church? (How many times?)

Was I disobedient to others? (How many times?)

Did I talk back to them? (How many times?)

Did I fight with someone? (How many times?)

Did I use angry words? (How many times?)

Did I try to get even with someone? (How many times?)

Did I use bad words? (How many times?)

Did I steal something? (How many times?)

Did I tell any lies? (How many times?)

Was I unkind to others? (How many times?)

Did I call anyone bad names? (How many times?)

Was I mean to others? (How many times?)

Did I tease someone unkindly? (How many times?)

Did I eat meat on Friday on purpose? (How many times?)




Lesson 9 

Quiz
                       
Sacrament of Penance
                                                       

  1. What sacrament heals our sick souls?






  1. What medicine does it use?






  1. If we ever have big sins, will Our Lord forgive us?






  1. Is He angry with us?






  1. What is the best way to get ready for confession?


No comments:

Post a Comment