First Communion Catechism
The Holy Eucharist
48. What is the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist?
The Holy Eucharist is the sacrament of the body and blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
49. When does Jesus Christ become present in the Holy Eucharist?
Jesus Christ becomes present in the Holy Eucharist during the Sacrifice of the
The Mass is Our Gift to God.
We offer bread and wine.
The priest does it for us.
We give our hearts to God.
Then the priest changes the bread and wine.
They become the Body and Blood of Jesus.
The priest offers them to God.
This tells God we love Him.
Jesus offers Himself as He did on the Cross.
We also offer ourselves with Jesus.
We are willing to suffer with Him.
50. Do you receive Jesus Christ in the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist?
I do receive Jesus Christ in the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist when I receive Holy Communion.
To show He is pleased, the Father invites us to
He gives us something to eat.
He gives us what we have given Him.
He gives us the Flesh and Blood of His Son.
He gives us the Host which looks like bread, but which is JESUS CHRIST.
51. Do you see Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist?
No, I do not see Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist because He is hidden under the appearances of bread and wine.
The HOST looks like bread.
But it is really the Body of Jesus.
The big Host is for the priest.
The small Hosts are for the people.
Each Host is Jesus.
The CHALICE contains the Blood.
It looks and tastes like wine.
But it is really the Blood of Jesus.
52. What must you do to receive Holy Communion?
To receive Holy Communion I must:
1. Have my soul free from mortal sin.
2. Not eat or drink anything for one hour before Holy Communion. But water may be taken at any time before Holy Communion.
People in mortal sin may not go to Communion.
It is a big sin if they go.
The life of Christ in their souls is dead.
Dead people cannot eat.
But sick people need to eat.
Venial sin makes the soul sick.
We can receive Communion with venial sins.
But first we should be sorry for our sins.
I must not eat for one hour before Communion.
I must not drink anything for one hour.
I may take water or medicine any time.
All this is to show respect for Our Lord.
53. What should you do before Holy Communion?
Before Holy Communion I should:
54. What should you do after Holy Communion?
After Holy Communion I should:
The Holy Eucharist
- Who comes to live in us at Communion time?
- Why does He come to us?
- Who offers the Mass for us?
- What do the bread and wine at Mass become?
5. What does Jesus say to His Father at Mass?